It's almost Pavlovian, when the Masterchef jingle starts... so does the hunger pangs. And now it's back on our screens (forcing us once again to suffer from serious nightly food envy) we've taken a trip down memory lane to one of the show's more fashionable feasts, as dished out by the one and only Alex Perry.
Recipe by Alex Perry for Celebrity Masterchef, Channel 10
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
½ cup olive oil
½ cup water
1 egg yolk
1kg English spinach, stalks removed, finely chopped
1 cup spring onions, chopped
½ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
½ cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
500g Greek feta, crumbled (Dodoni)
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
4 tbs milk
3-4 eggs, lightly beaten
4 tbs melted clarified butter
Salt and pepper
1. Pre heat the oven to 200°C. Grease and line a baking tray.
2. To make the dough, sift together the flour and salt in a bowl and make a
well in the centre. Add 4 tablespoons of the oil, water and the egg yolk,
use your hands to gradually incorporate the dry ingredients, add the
remaining oil. Place on a clean flat surface and knead to a smooth elastic
dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for ½ hour.
3. Meanwhile prepare the filling, Sprinkle the spinach with a little salt and
run under cold water, rub with your fingers. Rinse, drain, and squeeze out
the excess water and finely chop.
4. Combine the spinach, shallots, dill, parsley, cheese, milk, eggs, and
melted butter in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
5. Roll the dough into a large rectangle and cut into three, lengthways. Place
filling along the edges of each strip of dough and roll up to enclose. You
will have three long sausage shape pastries with filling. Scroll each
sausage log into a roll (looks like a snail shell) and place onto the lined
6. Mix the egg and milk together and brush the glaze over the pie. Bake 45 -
60 minutes, or until golden brown.
Copyright of FremantleMedia Australia Pty Limited