Book club: The Hunger Games

Book club: The Hunger Games | clique faves lifestyle feature book club  pictures

Hailed as the new Twilight (even though it was first Published in 2008) The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, is the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 17-year-old girl who volunteers to take her younger sister's place as 'tribute' in the barbaric (and televised) fight to the death that is The Hunger Games (and obviously the name of the book).

The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic world called Panem that is divided into 12 subservient districts surrounding the controlling power of the Capitol.

While she is fighting to stay alive, she also has to figure out her feelings about Peeta, the male tribute from her district, as well as discovering which tributes can become trusted allies and who is just there for the blood sport.

Now, don't let this talk of post-apocalyptic worlds and fighting to the death turn you off reading this book if you are generally more into romantic stories, because the Hunger Games has a lot of heart. Between the love for her sister and a possible love triangle for Katniss, Suzanne Collins makes you feel for her heroine at every turn. (But if you're a Twilight fan who needs more encouragement, then there is an endorsement from Stephenie Meyer on the cover.)

The book is the first in a trilogy (Followed by Catching Fire and Mockingjay), so if you're only reading it now, you'll probably kinda have a hunch that she makes it out alive right from the start. But that doesn't stop you from being completely involved in the story and her struggles.

I would recommend buying all three books at once because it is near impossible to not be hooked and the idea of having to wait even a day would be unbearable. This is a fantastic book which can be equally as enjoyable to guys and girls (I gave it to my male housemate and he finished it in like two days!), so buy it, enjoy it and then share the love.

If you're not a reader then the big screen adaption, starring Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, is coming to theatres in March and also features cameos from Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz and home-town hottie (not to mention Miley Cyrus's BF), Liam Hemsworth.

Image by Image from Buy.com , Image from AV club

• Zerotolove says:

Sounds good! x

• AHeadlam says:

I have just started this book
    It is really hard to stop reading and go to sleep.
    Actually it’s really hard not to just call in sick to work and sit at home and finish it

Time to grab the rest of the series I think

• misspriluvsu says:

The Hunger Games (book 1) is where I believe the series should end, the other two books are a bit iffy…. :/

• Brides says:

I’ve read this series as I was fed up with my students telling me I HAD to read it :P I admit I did enjoy it. The concept of this dystopia is thought provoking and at times scary. The love triangle also makes for a great read. I have to be honest, while I liked it and I do recommend it, the actual writing quality is quite poor. But I would say the same for Twilight which is my favourite series. I’m dragging my hubby along to see the movie when it comes out. Can’t wait :)

• claudia.xx says:

I have got so many recommendations to read this series I think it’s about time to go out and buy them!

• aoibhealfae says:

I’m quite disappointed with the romance elements in the book, mostly from katniss. The book is fine on its own without Gale and Peeta. But I adore the politics and social commentary in the book. As for the games, its nothing new to me since I watched Battle Royale years ago and there’s a lot of similarities.

I’ve you’ve finished the book and want more, you should try Ann Aguirre’s Enclave and Veronica Roth’s Divergent. Someone recommended me “Legend by Marie Lu” which I’m going to read after I’ve finished with my current reads (Patricia Brigg’s Mercy Thompson series.)

• lollyish says:

I seriously read this whole book in a day. I could not put it down, it was an amazing read. And I cannot wait to purchase the next one today. And also for the movie, yeeeee!! I haven’t been this excited about a movie since the final harry potter. Okay and maybe Crazy, Stupid, Love but that was purely for a Ryan Gosling perve sesh.

• K-girl says:

I borrowed The Hunger Games from the library about 2yrs ago, and devoured in one sitting.
    I then googled it, discovered that Catching Fire was also released, and promptly rushed down to the library the following morning to get my hands on it.
    Read that one in one sitting too!!
    Then had to wait an interminably long time for Mockingjay to be released, only to not get around to reading it because I’d was going to have to re-read the first two again… *sigh*
    Have now decided to buy all 3 and read the lot again!

• Tess says:

wow, i’m watching the movie of this on the weekend and was curious if hte books were worth a read. Sounds like it going off everyones feedback here! Love a good back that you just can’t put down, Just wish i had read the series before I watch it.

• janelleb.xo says:

being such a bookworm, i’m ashamed to say i only just finished the series even though it came out 4 years ago. i always wait to watch the movie after the book, and comparing, the movie was a let down (it just misses out on things i see as so vital!! on it’s own the movie is absolutely fantastic!)
    i have to agree that the 2nd and 3rd books are a bit iffy, and i personally didn’t like how fast paced the end of the 3rd book is, though they are still quiet enjoyable.
    definitely something i would recommend, even if it is just to understand what the hype is all about.

• Clare says:

I was hesitant to read the books but with everyone raving about them I thought I would give them a go. Really enjoyed the first book. An easy read but one that grabs you in pretty quickly. The only bad thing was the ending leaves you hanging and you feel the need to start the second one straight away…the problem is it turns out everyone feels the same way and it’s taken me a week to find it stocked anywhere!

If you are thinking of seeing the movie I would recommend reading the book first. It just adds a bit extra that the movie can’t convey. Even if you aren’t a big reader give it a go. After all, it was written primarily for teenagers so it isn’t a hard read, and it is written in a way you will get hooked…I promise.

• keppers says:

Love Hunger Games and have been raving about this series to all my friends for the last 12 months. It is such an amazing series and is such a great read even for adults despite the fact it was written for Young Adults. If you haven’t read it yet, then you need to get on it. :-)

• coldtearsx3 says:

Read the book first then the movie!!!!

• boo says:

I wasnt’ that interested but curiosity has got the better of me! I have purchased the 1st book ($10 at Big W – Bargain!).

Putting it aside to take to Hawaii in mid May!!

Also purchased 50 shades of grey! I’ve been hearing so much about this also!!!

• beautybabe says:

I’ve read the whole series and LOVE it!! I’ve seen the movie as well, but it’s not as good as the book (:

• radiovixen says:

I’ve read the book before it went crazy but personally I only liked the first book of the series.

• I read the book around when it first came out and loved it! I tried to read the second book though and it didnt have the same effect. I will try again and see what happens after reading conan the barbarian.

• boo says:

Ok so finally I read the book over my holidays – finished it so so quickly (the font is so big it really isn’t a very long book)
    I can say I enjoyed it a lot.
    I have a work friend bringing in number 2 for me tomorrow.
    And will put it on my list to download the movie – I wanna see all the action now.

• stefaneigh says:

I’m halfway through book 3. I liked the first one, didn’t really like the second one, and not sure about this one yet

• Caitlin Harris says:

Definitely buy the three books at once.. having to wait until I could get to the shops for the third was torture!

• thecatwhosawstars says:

I have seen the movie now so I guess that would kinda spoil the books for me.

• Andy7819 says:

AM on the waiting list for it at my library! So its pretty popular!