We recommend: Your favourite fancy-shmancy restaurant

We recommend: Your favourite fancy shmancy restaurant | hot topics lifestyle feature  pictures

Do you have a fave special restaurant.  You know the one you book in at when your folks are coming to town (with their cheque books), or when you want to spoil a special girlfriend. Or the one you just drop piles of unsubtle hints about in the hope that someone books it out for you instead.

Maybe you have more than one, or maybe you are in need of a new haunt after you and your bottle of Chardonnay said inappropriate things to the waiter on your last visit. Either way, this post is for you!

Personally I love my (kinda fancy) food , way more than almost as much  as my shoe collection, Fiance and my Pugalier combined.

And with this job comes the chance to partake in some pretty special culinary experiences.

My number one Melbourne eatery at the moment is Bistro Guillaume in the Crown complex in Melbourne. Their Tuna Nicoise salad is ridiculous, the triple fried Pommes Frites just divine, and if the top button on your skinny jeans will allow it, the Profiteroles with vanilla bean ice cream and warm chocolate sauce does such naughty but awesome things to your mouth that you will never forget it!

If I was to cast my net a little wider (and someone else was stumping up the airfare) I would have to vote Sushi Samba on 7th Avenue, NYC, as my all time favourite. And not just because of it's Martini-in-the-face Sex and the City flash backs, but also because Neo Tokya Samba rolls and oh-so-fresh Mojitos should be on everyone's "Things to eat before I die" bucket list. Just sayin.

So that's my gushing, now it's your turn! What's your favourite eatery? Jump down to the comments below and spill, like now.

Btw... anyone else really hungry right now??

• DDGD - Kristina Ioannou says:

I have a gazillion and one eateries I adore, but most noteworthy are my favourite brekky spots:
    * Woodstock in High St, Armadale, Melborune – they make a mean avo smash.
    * Salumeria Italiana in Templestowe, Melbourne – order the poached eggs with fennel and goat’s cheese salad…insane!
    * Penny Farthing Espresso in High St, Northcote, Melbourne – ridiculously good coffee, ridiculously good chilli egg scramble.
    Okay now I’m starving.

• prittykitty says:

It’s not in Melbourne, but the Perfect Drop in Daylesford is the only restaurant I would consider for a nice night out. More homey and less pretentious than Lake House, but still with local food, interesting flavours, great service and some fantastic wines. Can’t go past their chat potatoes with garlic aoili, and the desserts are ALWAYS absolutely divine. If you’re spending the weekend pampering yourself in the spa country, Perfect Drop is the way to go.
    In Kyneton Annie Smithers Bistro is fantastic.

Happy food-ing!

• Jamie Jams says:

I’m from Sydney and I love Sailor’s Thai down by Circular Quay, or Opera Bar (just for the view!). :)

• rochellemara says:

Ive been to sailors thai once years ago and adored it- amazing food! Enjoyed the cheaper part-is it canteen? about a year ago- delish!!!

• Kate says:

Food society in Darlinghurst is yummo, and their two pages of different vodkas is a treat!

• boo says:

Perth:
    If you are willing to SPLASH out! Definitely recommend the Loose Box – they do an AMAZING degustation, $150 per head and they have a normal ‘meat’ menu, a vego menu & then some specials for some of the courses so you get to build your own degustation for the night! French inspired food & bring an empty tummy!!
    :-)

• rochellemara says:

I dream, dream, dream about going to Vue de Monde one day- Bistro Vue is lovely but one day…..!
    Upstairs at the Stokehouse is def a special occasion restaurant- incredible food, lovely view and amazing service! We spent over three hours over a lunch there 2 xmases ago and it was one of my best ever dining experiences!

• DDGD - KristieG says:

Oh where to start!! my favourite restaurant in Launceston would be The Northern Club. Their food is devine! Cafes Relish and Cucina, do amazing everything and are really affordable.
    Hobart I love anything in Salamanca but Smolt has amazing Salmon and Cargo’s pizzas are the best!
    Melbourne has way too many to choose from, but my current faves include Coin Laundry in Armadale for breakfast, Mamasitas in Collins street for mexican and Little Ox in Brighton for lunch.

I LOVE FOOD!

• corestyle says:

Wow. I am loving that green bar!
    Quay, The Rocks, Sydney. Amazing food and (almost) even better views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. You just can’t go past the Snow Egg for dessert. MasterChef flashback, anyone?

• rochellemara says:

I recently went to Saigon Sally in Windsor Melb for dinner- loud but the food was amazingly delish! Dude vietnamese funky street food…
    -fried chicken ribs with spicy mayo
    - caramel garlic pork belly with morning glory
    - wagyu strips with pomegranate
    -miso fried eggplant with garlic chilli…I dont like eggplant but this was crispy fried goodness with salty sweet crunchiness!
    Def worth booking for!

• thecatwhosawstars says:

I’m in Melbourne and I love Taxi (CBD), Longrain (CBD) AND The Commoner (Fitzroy). I am salivating just thinking about the food at these 3 restaurants. Plus the ambience, decor and venues for Taxi and Longrain are spectacular and always make me feel like I am in an episode of Sex and the city. Fabulous darling!

Caveau in Wollongong (NSW) – a hatted restaurant; amazing service; knowledgeable and friendly staff; fantastic food and wine, beautifully presented; lovely ambience/atmosphere; pricey but you definitely get what you pay for! Hubby and I go there about once a year, for our anniversary dinner, or sometimes I ask to go for my birthday too :)