Top beauty blogger and new media consultant, Kimberly Nissen of The Plastic Diaries chats to us today about her must-have, forever-favourite, love-it-for-life beauty products... although it was hard for her to choose, there were just so many! Read on to find out which get-pretty essentials she's currently obsessing over.
1. What are your top 5 can’t-live-without beauty products?
1) Bio-oil – It is a miracle healer for scars and I am the clumsiest person in Australia, 2) Matte Contour & Blush – The NP Set Contour & Highlight Palette always gets my cheeks compliments, 3) Lip Balm with SPF – currently loving the new Blistex Five-Way with SPF 30+, 4) Waterproof Brown Eyeliner – Rimmel Scandal Eyes Kajal and Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes are my favourites, 5) Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection for my face – I have already had skin cancer and I don’t want it again, plus I am not fond of wrinkles.
2. What’s your favourite hairstyle to rock during the week?
I usually leave my hair down after frustratingly trying to do a snazzy new hairstyle each morning and failing horribly. I have learnt to embrace my natural waves and I think my hair down is more complimenting to my big eyes.
3. How do you keep your skin in shape?
I do facial exercises once a day for the face, and for my body I dry body brush head to toe every morning before showering. I swear by both these beauty methods.
4. How about your hair? How do you keep it healthy?
Even though my hair sheds far more than I would like, I have strangely healthy hair. I keep the use of heated hair tools to a minimum and if I have to use them I will always use heat protection spray beforehand. Hair loss is my greatest fear!
5. Which beauty secret do you swear by?
I don’t really call this a secret but I swear by avoiding sun exposure. It is so horribly aging and it is so much harder to get rid of sun damage than it is to prevent it. You can still have fun in the sun but make sure you Slip, Slop, Slap!
6. What’s the best beauty advice you’ve ever been given?
Take care of the teeth you have because once they are gone, they are gone!
7. How do you unwind on the weekends?
As a full-time blogger there isn’t much unwinding on weekends but I love travelling and eating good food so if I can take a little escape for a weekend I do. It is rare but worth it!
8. Describe a typical working day.
I am yet to have any 2 days the same but each day involves playing with lots of beauty products, answering a hundred or so emails, writing a blog post or two and chatting with lots of amazing people on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Sometimes there will be an event or launch to go to and that is always nice to break up the day.
9. Favourite fragrance?
Toughest question ever. My favourite changes weekly but right now it is Roberto Cavalli EDP. It is feminine and masculine in one. Strong and sexy. It is very Roberto Cavalli.
10. Favourite beauty brand and why?
Oh, and I thought the questions couldn’t get harder! Once again, it changes so often but right now it is Urban Decay. I can’t get past their amazing eyeshadow palettes.
11. Walk us through your daily makeup application.
My signature look is naked makeup. Flawless but natural looking. After applying my dozen or so skincare products and sunscreen, I use a sheer to medium liquid foundation mostly applied to the centre of my face with it blended outwards. I then do my brows, eyeshadow, eyeshadow, liner and mascara which is the time consuming part. I then do my cheeks and highlighting and very last my lips.
12. If you could take only one beauty item with you on a deserted island, which would it be and why?
Sunscreen with UVA/UVB 50+ protection. Naturally I am assuming it is sunny on that deserted island and I don’t want to burn.
For the dish on how Kimberly stays so fresh and gorgeous, honest product reviews and an inside perspective on all of the glitzy events she gets to attend visit www.theplasticdiaries.com (you'll want to steal her impeccable grooming routine for your own beauty game!).
Graphic by Larissa Thorne