You’ve undoubtedly read her Crashing Red blog posts and drooled endlessly over her So Nailicious tutorials, and now you get the pleasure of peeking inside the talented mind of beauty blogger and nail pioneer, Maria Vlezko. Today Maria divulges her grooming lust-haves and even spills the glitter on her top tips for concealing dark circles. Aren’t you ladies lucky!
1. What are your top 5 can’t-live-without beauty products?
1. Orly Nailtrition — Perfect for weak or dry nails. My nails are naturally a bit soft. It is thanks to Nailtrition that they have improved significantly.
2. Shiseido Bio-Performance Advanced Super Revitalising Cream — Love it! It’s the best for anti-ageing (30-somethings).
3. Chanel Precision Sublimage Masque — It’s magical, it can make you look 5 years younger overnight.
4. Guinot BiOXYGENE Cleansing Foam — Extra deep cleansing for sensitive skin.
5. Sisley L33 (deep red) Lipstick — Part of my signature red lips look.
2. What’s your favourite hairstyle to rock during the week?
Right now I have a shoulder length bob and my hair is as straight as straight can get. So it always looks like a sleek, classic long bob without any effort or product.
3. How do you keep your skin in shape?
That magical Chanel Masque helps a lot and of course, religiously moisturising, cleansing well, eating well and always protecting from sun. Eating well is so obvious that it’s often overlooked but it’s very important for healthy looking skin.
4. Which beauty secret do you swear by?
It’s not quite a secret but I think I’ve mastered the technique of concealing dark circles under the eyes. Working long hours really affects your eyes. At the same time, when you’re attending events you’re expected to look fresh and rested. Plus, the older you get, the more difficult it is to apply make-up without making yourself look older. So I found a perfect way of hiding my black circles. You need to first gently touch the eye area with ice-cubes, then apply concealer mixed with eye-drops and softly dab it in with your ring finger.
5. What’s the best beauty advice you’ve ever been given?
Apply concealer after your foundation.
6. How do you unwind on the weekends?
Happy times at the beach.
7. Describe a typical working day.
My working day starts as soon as I open my eyes — check Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and emails. Then I take a shower, always eat a big breakfast and get ready for work. Then attending to everything important that has been discovered during the first social media round, researching and writing articles for SoNailicous.com, correspondence with contributors, quick lunch (or no lunch as often I have no time!) then second round of social media. Next, attend all incoming inquiries and again, back to articles for SoNailicious. Or instead, second half of the day can be devoted to product trials, nail art/nail painting sessions. Finally, last round of social media activities and it’s dinner time! I often stay up late finishing what hasn’t been done during the day. Hopefully one day I’ll be back to a normal 8 hours working day, maybe in my next life.
8. Favourite fragrance?
Haha. I can’t smell. But I do have a favourite — Miss Dior Cherie. I like it because the bottle looks beautiful and it was a gift from my mum (she can smell, thank God!).
9. Favourite beauty brand and why?
Chanel. I love their make-up colours and their skincare quality is always the highest.
10. Favourite nail art trend?
Too many, but at the moment I think geometric nails, including Art Deco nails. Also, anything done with tape for a sharp statement.
11. If you could wear one colour of polish for the rest of your life, which would it be and why?
The day when I’d want to change my colour and couldn’t, would be the last day of my life.
12. What is your favourite nail art tutorial out of all the ones you’ve done thus far?
I can’t be objective, I love them all! But the one that went extremely well with my dear readers was Tainted Love Nails. My other favs are Faberge Easter Egg nails, Art Nouveau nails, MBFWA nails, Polka Dot Day nails and Gothic Moon nails. You can check others out here.
13. Walk us through your daily makeup application.
L’Oreal CC cream, Lancome Hypnose mascara, Clarins Lip Perfector and that’s it. If I go out I replace lip perfector with Sisley L33 or Chanel 60 Vertige and CC cream with Jane Iredale BB foundation and of course, L’oreal Lumi Magique concealer goes under my eyes.
14. Who inspires you?
Freddie Mercury. He was the epitome of cool combined with talent and an unrelenting drive to do better.
15. If you could take only one beauty item with you on a deserted island, which would it be and why?
A very big bottle of SPF +50 sunscreen. I expect sun would be harsh there and I don’t want to turn into a deep fried coconut!
Check out Maria’s latest ebook “30 Easy Nail Art Designs & Tutorials” – consider it your beauty bible (seriously, it’s insanely good)!