Today the beauty spotlight is being cast on the delightful Shae-Anne Prentice, blogger over at Gidget Cooper where she writes weekly about her love of makeup and bunny rabbits!
1. What inspired you to start your blog?
Beauty bloggers have been essential in both helping save and spend my money. I know where to buy and what not to buy. I've purchased so many great products at the recommendation of so many bloggers. I thought why not be part of that helpful community. I like looking at product swatches and it's also something I like to focus on too. If I can't see the product in person I'd at least like to know what it looks like and how it performs.
2. What are your top 5 can’t-live-without beauty products?
- A good lip balm. My lips get quite dry really quickly so I always need one at the ready. Right now I'm trying out Nivea Lip Butter, which smells like vanilla.
- Essence Match 2 Cover Cream Concealer. It only comes in one duo shade, but I get a concealer and a natural contour out of it.
-Models Prefer Retractable Eyebrow Pencil in Light. I have rather gingery hair and need a warm toned brow pencil. This is the perfect colour for me despite its funky smell. Spoolie included!
- Laura Mercier Translucent Pressed Powder. I used to use the Australis Ready Set Go loose translucent powder but kicked that to the curb when I tried this baby. It mattes down my foundation and sets my face without looking I'm wearing a powder at all. It's almost invisible! Not cheap, though.
- Essence Long Lasting Lipstick in Natural Beauty comes in at number five. I have a pink undertone to my natural lip colour, and a nice swipe of this lippie provides a nice natural flush of colour to my lips. It's always in my makeup bag and I have backups.
3. What’s your favourite hairstyle to rock during the week?
I like to keep it down and wavy. Go over it with a curling tong and some styling powder for texture, and I'm out the door.
4. How do you keep your skin in shape?
By trying to keep it clean and protected. It's by no means in shape. I'm incredibly pale, so blemishes leave pigmentation that take a long time to fade. I'm still trying to find a way to balance my skin out.
5. Which beauty secret do you swear by?
Primer. I'm rather skin-conscious, so a good primer is my secret. Not only does a primer provide a good base for your makeup, it doubles as a barrier, protecting your face from the elements and preventing your skin from absorbing product.
7. What’s the best beauty advice you’ve ever been given?
Your skin is the largest organ on your body. It's the most exposed, so take care of it. My mother would always coat me in sunscreen when I was a child. As a result I've always aimed to take good care of my skin even though my face still refuses to play fairly with me. While blogs are nice for tips and advice on how to take care of your skin, I always recommend people to consult a dermatologist. Everyone's different. The more you know about your own skin the better you're able to select products that are safe for you to use. It just becomes a process of elimination after that.
8. How do you unwind on the weekend?
With a nice glass (bottle) of Merlot, a Lush Bath Bomb, a face mask and the Xbox. Or a good book. It really depends on what I feel like. I don't go out much anymore, but I still like to relax on the weekend. Either with a good video game, a book or Doctor Who.
9. Describe a typical working day.
Right now I'm on break from uni, so a typical day consists of spending time with my bunnies and catching up on all my reading. When I'm at uni my typical day consists of me making sure I'm caught up on all my essays!
10. Favourite fragrance?
Lavender. I have lavender oil, candles, shampoo, bath oils and lip balm. It's such a soothing smell.
11. Favourite beauty brand and why?
Inglot or Essence. You can't beat Essence's prices, but I'm obsessed with collecting Inglot eyeshadows. So buttery. So pigmented. They're like Pokemon. Gotta catch em all!
12. If you could wear one colour of polish for the rest of your life, which would it be and why?
A permanent natural french manicure? I could paint over the top of it, right? Right now I can't get enough of Chanel's Peridot, but I think I'd get sick of it if I had to wear it every day.
13. Walk us through your daily makeup application.
I usually try to wash my face first. I don't want to mix all the oils that have produced on my face over the course of the night in with my primer & foundation. I coordinate products according to the weather. If it's hot I try not to go overly matte and prefer to set my face with a spray rather than a powder. If it's cold I can get away with powdering. At the moment I'm still renovating my room, so I've been carting my makeup to and from the bathroom in the morning. It's irritating, but my desk and cupboards should be up soon and I'll post a room tour soon when I'm happy with the setup.
14. Who inspires you?
Celebrity-wise it would be Kristen Stewart or Rooney Mara. Both rarely put a foot wrong with makeup. I love a nice smokey eye ala K. Stew, or a bold lip ala Rooney. I like to keep things simple and try to either focus on the eyes or the lips, not both.
15. What do you love most about being a blogger?
Being a part of a community. I'm such a socially awkward person, so it's nice to be included in such a large online society full of useful tips and advice. You never feel alone.
16. Favourite celebrity hunk?
Jensen Ackles. I don't think it's debatable. I could scroll through Tumblr all night looking at him. It's soul crushing he's with someone. There's always Dean Winchester. Right?
17. If you could be any superhero, who would it be and why?
Not really a superhero, but I wouldn't mind being a vampire. No more skin problems, super strength & immortality. Sounds good to me!