When Yelena Fairfax is referred to as a "beauty expert" it's because she literally is just that ... multiplied by ten! In her work at the beautydirectory, it's Yelena's job to be 'in the know' when it comes to the latest and all time greatest beauty products, techniques and trends, as her role as senior content producer often sees her writing news, features and articles about all of the above.
Yep, Yelena definitely is our kind of girl and her beauty tips are sure to set you in the right direction towards flawless foundations, streak-free face tans and dynamite lashes. Giving insight into her very own beauty regime, today Yelena is spilling the glitter on her secrets to everyday chic and those products worth saving for special occasions.
1. What does your job title at Beauty Directory involve?
As senior content producer at beautydirectory, I am responsible for writing news, features, and social reports. I am also managing the new revamped health section of the site, which sees me sourcing content and trends, contacting media, and attending meetings with health and well-being brands.
2. What are your top 5 can't-live-without beauty products?
- Benefit They're Real mascara – This mascara literally makes you look like you are wearing falsies or extensions, with lashes looking both longer and fuller. Winning!
- Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation – I have two go-to foundations (the other is below). I love the luminous silk foundation as it feels light-weight on your skin and delivers a dewy complexion.
- Clinique Continuous Coverage – This is for those who like intense coverage. I tend to mix this with a bit of the Giorgio Armani luminous silk foundation so it’s not quite as thick. The great thing about this foundation is that I can put it on at the start of an evening out, and it will still be sitting perfectly by the time I head home.
- M.A.C Impeccable Brow Pencil in Dirty Blonde – This pencil’s matte, creamy texture fills in brows nicely for a natural-looking finish. Great for the current full brow trend.
- NP Set California Cool Bronzing Powder – Providing the perfect blend of pink and brown tones, this powder delivers a decent amount of colour without making you look like an oompa-loompa.
3. What’s your favourite hairstyle to rock during the week?
I'm all about the braids during the week. I tend to either braid from one side to the other just using the front section of my hair, or I do a deep side part and make a small braid along the hairline of the opposite side.
4. How do you keep your skin in shape?
When it comes to skincare, I have two main brands that I rely on — Environ and Alpha-H. I use the Environ Cleansing Lotion every night and morning (applying it with the Philips VisaPure Facial Cleansing Brush). I then use the Environ Moisturising Toner to make sure my skin is completely cleansed. Next, I alternate between using the Environ AVST 2 and Alpha-H’s Liquid Gold. I have found that these two products are absolute winners when it comes to making my skin look brighter and more youthful. Both products are packed with vitamin A — an ingredient I believe is key to anti-ageing.
5. Which beauty secret do you swear by?
No lollies! A former lolly addict — I 100 percent have seen a change in my skin since cutting down on the sweets. We all know to get plenty of sleep and drink lots of water, but it won’t matter how much H20 you’re guzzling while lying in bed, your skin will look aged and dull if you’re tucking into bags of sugary treats.
6. What’s the best beauty advice you’ve ever been given?
Use a good face-specific fake tan to make your face look healthy and glowy. I like to use the Tuscan Tan Facial Tanning Serum, and have found that it also reduces the amount of foundation I need to apply.
7. How do you unwind on the weekends?
I’m a bit of a book nerd. Some of my favourite weekends are those spent relaxing on my outdoor sofa in the sun and reading a book or magazine (obviously wearing a hat, sunglasses and SPF!). I’m also very partial to a long brunch with friends.
8. Describe a typical working day.
My mornings are spent scouring email alerts, sourcing stories, collecting quotes, writing news articles, and subbing my colleagues' work. Once I’ve published the articles (with accompanying pics), I follow up on any of the emails that have come in that need my attention. My time is then spent making sure our directories and industry news are all up-to-date and working on my features — this includes everything from conducting interviews, transcribing, researching and, obviously, writing.
9. Favourite fragrance? What does it remind you of?
It’s a bit of an oldie and not available anymore, but my all-time favourite fragrance is the Azuree Soleil perfume by Tom Ford for Estée Lauder. Whenever I spray this fragrance, it reminds me of being on holiday at a Mediterranean beach, lying by the water.
10. Favourite beauty brand and why?
My go-to brand has to be M.A.C. I still get a little excited when a M.A.C product arrives on my desk and I find that their products often become staples in my makeup wardrobe — be it the perfect ruby red lipstick, a great coverage foundation, or a highly-pigmented eyeshadow.
11. If you could wear one colour of polish for the rest of your life, which would it be and why?
Revlon Colorstay Longwear Nail Enamel in Pale Cashmere. The perfect pale pink, I believe this nail polish makes hands look both delicate and dainty, and it seems to have an uncanny ability to not jar with any outfit choice (even red).
12. Walk us through your daily makeup application.
While my favourite foundations are the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation and Clinique Continuous Coverage, I tend to save these up for special occasions. For a typical day, I usually apply the Chi Chi Fabulous & Flawless foundation or the Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish foundation SPF 15 PA+. Using the figure 3 shape, I then sweep the NP Set California Cool Bronzing Powder across my forehead, along the cheekbones and across my jaw line using the NP Set Blush Contour Brush. I also use this product as an eyeshadow, so I do one last sweep across my eyelids. Next, I apply eyeliner using either Avon Glimmersticks Brights eye liner in black or Maybelline New York Master Smoky mechanical pencil in Black Smoke. Lastly, I finish off with the Benefit They're Real mascara.
13. Who inspires you?
Zoe Foster-Blake. I love that she has moved from being a beauty journalist to producing best-selling novels that have the right mix of entertainment and romance to keep readers coming back for more.
14. What’s the best thing about your job?
I like that there is a big mix of different things to do — from writing copy to product testing, interviews, attending events and even taking photographs.
15. Favourite celebrity hunk?
I'm a little bit in love with Patrick J. Adams, but that might just be because I'm a rather large fan of his character Mike Ross in Suits. I know most girls are Harvey Specter fans, but I’m Mike Ross all the way.
16. If you could be any superhero, who would it be and why?
Superman – A mild-mannered reporter by day and a superhero in times of crisis — seems like a pretty good mix to me!