Today in the hot seat, we're chatting to founder of Queen B Tea (a natural tea-tox brand) Brittany Carruthers-Clements, who shares her product loves and how she keeps her skin glowing.
1. What are your top 5 can’t-live-without beauty products?
- Queen B’s Beauty Queen Tea: I drink Queen B’s organic and natural Beauty Queen Tea. The tea’s powerful ingredients help to replenish collagen and elastin back into the skin to aid in the elimination of pimples, acne, blemishes, scars or dry skin. One cup of the tea a day helps to keep my skin clear. Its delicious lemony flavour makes this certainly one of the easiest beauty treatments I have experienced.
- Aesop Parsley Seed Anti-Oxidant Eye Cream: It's my pick-me-up eye moisturiser — it lifts me when I’m feeling sluggish or dull. I use it every single day and my eyes do not feel awake until I put it on.
- Sephora PRO Airbrush 55: My Sephora foundation brush is my ultimate beauty secret! Unlike regular flat foundation brushes, it gives your skin a matte airbrushed flawless finish. I use it to apply everyday tinted moisturiser as well as when I am heading out with a thicker foundation.
- Givenchy Croisiere Healthy Glow Powder 3: My Givenchy powder brings colour to my complexion to give me a sun-kissed look all year round! I use this on top of my daily tinted moisturiser or foundation, and blend it to the look I want to achieve that day.
- Yves Saint Laurent Lipstick: As I often wear monochrome clothes, I absolutely love a bright lip to brighten up any outfit. My choice is YSL. I am very adventurous when it comes to lip colour and, although orange suits me best, I have been venturing all sorts of colours lately including: subtle pink (49), bright hot pink (8), bold red (201), and bright purple (19).
2. Tell us a bit about Queen B and how you got started?
Sick of the lack of natural and organic health solutions, I decided it was time some natural solutions to many female issues were discovered. With a lot of time, research and hard work, the Queen B team and myself now launched a range of both natural and organic tea, coffee and hot cocoa that aid in all sorts of health issues including: weight loss, skin revival, menopause, period pain, and restful sleep.
3. What’s your favourite hairstyle to rock during the week?
During the week I am running from work to meeting, from yoga to gym, and from walking my dog to brunch with my girlfriends. With my long brown hair, I cannot go past a slicked back ponytail. It is easy to manage and always looks classy.
4. How do you keep your skin in shape?
Along with drinking our Beauty Queen Tea once daily, I aim to eat naturally 80% of the time, and indulge the other 20%. I can definitely tell the difference in my skin if I have had an indulgent weekend. You cannot beat natural foods for skin health.
5. Which beauty secret do you swear by?
Do not fall asleep with your makeup on! No matter how tired you are always, always make the effort to clean your skin before you sleep.
6. What’s the best beauty advice you’ve ever been given?
Cleanse, tone and moisturise your face morning and night! Your skin gets put through so much stress and strain each day it faces the weather and dirt in the air — it is so important to clean all of that dirt off your face each day so your pores do not absorb it.
7. How do you unwind on the weekends?
I begin my weekend each Friday night with a 6:30pm yoga class to wind down from a busy week. My Saturdays usually involve a sleep in, brunch with my girlfriends and a dinner at one of Melbourne delicious restaurants with my boyfriend. Sundays are my favourite day — I take my 5-month-old French Bulldog, Handsome, to the beach or dog park, and then head to the South Melbourne market to stock up on yummy fresh food for the week ahead. Sunday nights are spent baking or cooking any of the divine ingredients I picked up at the market that day.
8. Describe a typical working day.
My working day starts at 6:30am where I take my puppy for a walk around our local community. I come home to shower and freshen up for the day ahead. To get my brain functioning I have a big glass of warm water infused with lemon, and a cup of Queen B’s Green Coffee to help increase my metabolism and suppress my appetite. The working day is filled with morning email replies, 10am green juices, daily social media posts, 1pm chicken salad, and afternoon order packing, and afternoon raspberry punnets. My afternoons contain a pilates, yoga or weight session (alternate between days), and the nights are all mine to enjoy with friends and family.
9. Favourite fragrance?
Chanel Chance: It reminds me of my trip to New York City, my favourite place on earth, where I purchased the fragrance.
10. Favourite beauty brand and why?
I cannot look past Aesop. Made of natural ingredients, it is my go-to for beauty basics. My skin is combination: dry around the cheeks and forehead but prone to blemish on the chin. They are there at every single stage of my routine.
11. If you could wear one colour of polish for the rest of your life which would it be and why?
OPI Over The Taupe: It goes with everything and looks classy.
12. Walk us through your daily makeup application.
My makeup routine begins in the shower where I will cleanse my face using Aesop Fabulous Face Cleanser, and exfoliate with Aesop Tea Tree Leaf Face Exfoliant. I will then tone my face with Aesop B & Tea Balancing Toner, moisturise my face with Aesop Mandarin Facial Hydrating Cream, and moisturise my eyes with Parsley Seed Antioxidant Cream. I then wait for my face to absorb all of that before I begin makeup. I use Hourglass Mineral Primer as a base and use my Sephora PRO Airbrush to add either Cosmedics Mineral Pro Triple Defence Protection for day, or Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation for night. I then use my Sephora PRO Airbrush Concealer Brush to add Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat Radiant Touch around my eyes, down the top of my nose, and the centre of my chin. I then use my Sephora PRO Precision Powder Brush to add my Givenchy Croisiere Healthy Glow Powder to my cheek bones for a sun kissed look. I top up my look with Hourglass Ambient Lightening Powder to brighten my complexion. I then add the colour! Whatever look I am channeling that day, it always consists of YSL mascara, eyeliner and lipstick. For a day look I lean towards peaches, and for night I go for bold colours.
13. Who inspires you?
My beauty inspiration is Lara Bingle — she is effortlessly flawless and naturally beautiful.
14. What’s the best thing about owning your own tea business?
Giving everyday women organic and natural health solutions to common problems. The thrill the team and I get when receiving an email full of positive feedback about how our products have changed someone’s life is indescribable and makes each day worth it!
15. Favourite celebrity hunk?
Chuck Bass — enough said.
16. If you could be any superhero who would it be and why?
I would love to be Cat Woman: she’s sassy, sneaky, and utterly gorgeous!