Queen of the smokey eye, Mia Connor is definitely making waves in the beauty world. One peek at her addictive Instagram page is a testament to this. Aside from working with some major brands, Mia has had her makeup mastery published in numerous magazines all over the world and has even released her own set of makeup tools. Talk about doing it all! Today we chat to The Makeup Bar founder about which prods she simply can't live without.
1. Can you please walk us through your career as a makeup artist?
I did my first makeup course back in 2003 just to learn how to do my own makeup properly. After this I was completely addicted, underwent another course in 2005 and then opened my store The Makeup Bar in 2007. I am now venturing into education and have been running Masterclasses for existing makeup artists wanting to brush up on their skills. Soon I will be opening up The Makeup Academy by Mia Connor for newbies wanting to learn!
2. What are your top 5 can't-live-without beauty products?
- I can't live without VanityMark Brow Powders, “Blondie” is my go-to shade.
- Erin Bigg’s Gel Liner Pot in Onyx, great liner and a great base for a smokey eye.
- Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation is my current foundation squeeze.
- L'Oreal Telescopic is my favourite mascara.
- NARS bronzer in Laguna is the best bronzer!
3. What's your favourite hairstyle to rock during the week?
Centre part LOB AKA the Bingle LOB.
4. How do you keep your skin in shape?
Eve Lom cleanser, Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peels and MECCA Hydrating Sunscreen.
5. Which beauty secret do you swear by?
A spray tan will even out skin tone and reduce the appearance of pigmentation, freckles and sun damage!
6. What's the best beauty advice you've ever been given?
“Too much on the mouth goes south” by Rae Morris referring to the longevity of lip wear.
7. How do you unwind on the weekends?
I work every Saturday so I wrap that up with a glass of red and a quiet night in, Sunday is my fun day where I will catch up with my friends for a few drinks in the sun.
8. Describe a typical working day.
I work by appointment only so every day is different. During the week will see me doing more commercial work such as photoshoots etc. whereas weekends will often be a wedding in the morning followed by back to back appointments in store for people going to events etc.
9. Favourite fragrance? What does it remind you of?
Chanel Chance, reminds me of my nan as she loves it too.
10. Favourite beauty brand and why?
Would have to be MAC as across the board they are great with all their products and on trend.
11. If you could wear one colour of polish for the rest of your life, which would it be?
Red, because red goes faster. Classic, timeless and goes with everything.
12. Walk us through your daily makeup application.
I always keep it simple, SFP plus foundation, liner and mascara with a touch of blush, lip balm and I’m out the door.
13. Who inspires you?
I seek inspiration from other makeup artists, photographers and models.
14. What's the best thing about being a makeup artist?
I love my job, it's definitely a feel good job, making people feel good about themselves; it's very rewarding. I love the flexibility and the endless creativity.
15. Favourite celebrity hunk?
Paul Walker – RIP!
16. If you could be any superhero who would it be and why?
Lara Croft — Tomb Raider so I could wear that outfit every day! hah