So we’re jumping back into our weekly DIY sessions with something on the easy side (My brain is still in holiday mode and can’t quite handle anything too complicated) so I thought I’d give this super cute planter tutorial a whirl. I’ve seen these little guys on Pinterest, Etsy and at my local markets and — without wanting to take too much away from the sellers — have been dying to try it for myself. I think the appeal for me was mostly in the closed eyes because there’s no way I can handle drawing irises. Plus, when I say this is quick I mean it — if you’re careful with the paint while it dries you’re looking at maybe 10 minutes tops so it is the perfect last minute gift.
I’ll admit that my texta work was a little bit sketchy, but for some reason I have incredibly shaky hands (yet another reason I don’t drink much coffee!) and without a flat surface to rest it on I had to just hope for the best. The little rosy cheeks on my bushy haired little lady are quite subtle and are definitely more evident in person, but you can build them up as much as you like! I painted them on and dabbed it away with my finger for a less even flush and so you couldn’t see any paint strokes. Considering my less then stellar history with all plants my collection of desk succulents is coming along quite nicely!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A small succulent
- A plain white egg cup
- A sharpie
- Red and white ceramic paints
- A small paint brush (or a cotton bud)
HOW YOU MAKE IT:
- Start by drawing the face onto your egg cup with the sharpie. You don’t need to be too precious about it, but start with two wide U shapes for the eyes and a small circle for the mouth. Then add two dots for your nostrils and as many eyelashes as you like.
- Mix together a tiny amount of red and white paint (about 1:6).
- Paint it onto your egg cup with a paint brush or cotton bud. Lightly dab it with your finger. Repeat.
- Make sure the dirt around your plant is a little bit wet. Wiggle it out from the tray it comes in and remove some of the excess dirt.
- Put it in your egg cup and press down around it.
- Marvel at your awesomeness.