I’m constantly on the lookout for new ways to style my hair, so when I came across this way to achieve a full looking and voluminous braid, I had to share it with you guys! It’s such a lovely and unique way of styling a ponytail.
I love this hairstyle for day-to-day wear as well as a way to do your hair when you go out for a more dressy event, or just a night out with friends. It’s a bit fiddly at first, but I promise that once you get the hang of it, it is so easy to achieve and will only take a few moments. The best part is that after you finish the braid, you can pull it out so it looks super thick, just like a celeb! Think Blake Lively’s envious red carpet beauty looks, but without the hair extensions (or stylist to do it for you).
Have a read of the tutorial below!
What you’ll need:
- Plenty of hair ties — the small clear elastic ones will work best, but any will do
- A large hair clip
- Begin by sectioning off your first part of hair. Section it off at your temple just as if you were doing a half up-half down hairstyle and secure with your elastic.
- With the ponytail you just created, clip it up and out of the way as much as you can.
- Start your next section with the hair just behind your ears and secure with an elastic.
- Unclip the first ponytail, split it into two and take the second ponytail you just made and clip it up out of the way.
- Create your next ponytail by taking most of your hair, just leaving what is at the nape of your neck and with this ponytail you will combine the two sections from your first ponytail.
- Then unclip the last ponytail you made and split it into two (just like you did before) and clip your new pony out of the way.
- Repeat this process until all of your hair is secured.
- Start with your top section and loosely pull the hair out, and as you pull you will feel the elastic tighten. Try to do small pieces at a time.
- Keep doing this with every section until you have achieved your desired look!
For a great video tutorial, check out this one by Alex Gaboury.