So a few week's ago I found a picture of the most amazing looking chocolate and peanut butter cheesecake on Pinterest and showed to my hubby (who shares my obsession with all things peanut butter flavoured). His eyes lit up, his stomach rumbled (I swear!), and he said that was the cake he'd like for his birthday the next week, please and thank you.
So I Googled the recipe that was making us both drool, and discovered that it wasn't just a plain and easy cheesecake, it was actually a really bloody difficult multi-layered mousse concoction, with way too many fancy sounding ingredients and overly complicated steps.
I am very ADD with my cooking. It has to take 30 minutes or less or I just can't be bothered (not even on my favourite persons birthday). So I set myself the task of creating my own version of the overly complicated cheesecake and the results were pretty damn impressive (and tasty!).
And here's what I did!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1 large packet of Oreos with filling removed (or other chocolate biscuit such as Chocolate Ripple)
- 60g butter (melted)
- 500g cream cheese
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 120ml pouring cream
- 3/4 block dark chocolate (melted)
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 2 Snickers bars (roughly chopped) for decoration
- Additional 1/4 block dark chocolate (also melted) for decoration
HOW YOU MAKE IT:
- Line a round spring form pan with baking paper, spray lightly with cooking spray to grease.
- Use a blender or food processor to crumble the biscuits until they resemble fine breadcrumbs (mine actually broke, so I just pummeled the biscuits with the end of a rolling pin!).
- Add the melted butter and pulse the blender until combined (you might need to give it a bit of a mix with a wooden spoon as you remove from the blender) and then press the mixture into your prepared pan. Place into the freezer to set.
- Use electric beaters to mix the cream cheese, vanilla essence and sugar until completely combined then divide the mixture between two mixing bowls.
- Add the melted chocolate to one bowl and the peanut butter to the other and mix each with beaters to combine.
- Spoon the chocolate layer first into the pre-prepared pan, and then using a knife, gently spread it out so it is even.
- Repeat with the peanut butter layer.
- Finally sprinkle with chopped Snickers bars and drizzle on the additional melted chocolate.
- Place into the fridge for 3+ hours to set.